user_mobilelogo

The Hamilton Chamber of Commerce Hollydays Christmas Tour of Homes is set for this Saturday, Dec. 2, from noon to 5 p.m.

Tickets will be available at Studio on the Square starting at 11 a.m. and are $10 for age 13 and older.

Homes on the tour this year include St. Mary’s Church, a building of carpenter Gothic design constructed of beaded cypress in the shape of an inverted arc with star and crescent moon cutouts on the ribs. The church is a Texas Historical Landmark.

The Eidson House was built in 1913 by Arthur Richelou Eidson, who was born in 1875, the eldest of eight children born to James Allen Eidson, who came to Hamilton in 1870. Many old Hamilton photographs and memorabilia are part of the home’s decor.

The Alamo House, originally owned by Clarence and Nannie Rush, was built in 1932, the first brick house in Hamilton.

Two cottages on College Street were constructed in the Moore, a bachelor. Oral history is that Mr. Moore built these small houses during the Depression to provide work for people who were unemployed. He paid them $1 a day.

The Yates house is a Victorian built in 1910. It was originally on the highway but was pulled up the hill. The family’s Christmas decor is described as a “fun house” for the grandkids.

Get In Touch

The Hamilton Herald-News
P.O. Box 833
Hamilton, TX 76531

 
 (254) 386-3145
 (254) 386-3001